How to install Windows Server 2012 R2
To be an efficient systems administrator, and one must be able to install and configure in Windows server. This will be a step by step tutorial on how to install and configure a Windows server 2012 R2 in a production environment.
Table of contents:
- install and configuring a server
- introduction to active directory
- installation of active directory domain controller
- how to configure a server core
- Creating User accounts in the active directory
- creating computer accounts in active directory
- creating an organisational unit in active directory
- Group policy
- IPV 6
- IPV 4
- how to configure DHCP and DNS
- configuration Hyper-V in Windows server 2012 R2
- how to configure local storage
- NTFS permissions and shares.
Windows server 2012 comes in 4 editions namely:
Foundation, Essentials, Standard and Datacenter.
What makes server 2012 R2 different to server 2008R2:
Can switch between core and GUI.
Foundation: This is the cheapest and scaled down edition of windows server. It is limited to only 15 users. It was designed to cater for small business file and print sharing. After installation, it loads to the simple dashboard; the function of the dashboard is to provide simple links to general admin tasks like setting up backups, adding users etc. However, it cannot be installed on a virtual machine or let’s say that it is not licenced to be installed on a virtual machine.
Essentials: This is also a scaled down version. It supports 25 users, can only install 1 copy on a physical or virtual machine. It defaults to server manager rather than a dashboard.
Standard/Datacenter: They contain all Windows server 2012 features. Standard runs 2 virtual instances while Datacenter runs unlimited virtual machines, it is also designed for large computer with up to 64 processors, not available through retail channels.
Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012R2
TABLE OF CONTENTS
– Installing a Server Core
– Features on Demand
– Migrating Roles
PLANNING: Here, planning does not necessary talking about big strategies or connecting multiple sites, etc these will be later. Here we will be looking at smaller role outs because if we plan properly it will make our installation easy and better. This can be practised in virtual machines weather free of once bought. One of the things to have for planning is to prepare the hardware by downloading MAPTOOLKIT which is a tool for identifying if the desktop Pc is fit for the upgrade or installing Windows Server 2012 R2. This tool can be got from the Microsoft website.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLING WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2
|CPU||Single processor 1.4GHz – 64 bit|
|Disk Space||32 GB|
– Another requirement for installing windows server 2012r2 will be to know a few or minimum powershell commands.
– Do a backup of any machine that will be upgraded or have a contingency plan like having other machines or servers to be used as a substitute.
– Computer rollout should be done in phases.
LEVELS OF WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 INSTALLATION
– Full GUI (graphical user interface): This is the regular installation type that has things to click on.
– Core: This is the default installation level which Microsoft is advocating administrator to use. On this type of installation level the attack is minimal and it does not require huge hardware like RAM or disk space. It is very reliable and easy to administer remotely.
– Features On Demand: This is used on the full GUI but many feature are removed. So it is basically a stripped full GUI with minimal server interface. This has its advantages in the sense that let’s say during the installation of the server operating system feature like DHCP or DNS was installed and then later we don’t need it in our office. What can be done is that it can be removed as well as a few unnecessary roles and then left as a partial GUI interface with no internet explorer.
(FOLLOW THE VIDEO BELOW FOR INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2)
This video below will guide system administrators to configure Active directory and User accounts.
FOLLOW THE VIDEO BELOW
Below is the installation of our windows client which we intend to use in our windows server series.
Tutorial: This is the new Windows 10 installation